Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What is Passion?

My new favorite book is Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. It is a devotional journal that someone recommended on one of the Caringbridge websites.

I have started leaving this book on my dining room table so I can read it as I eat breakfast everyday. I have been changing some of my habits and eatting at the dining room table instead of the sofa is one of those "good for me" changes. I know this sounds strange, but for years my daughter and I would carry our plates to the living room to eat and watch tv.

As I was saying, today's devotional really struck a cord with me. It is great how the Lord prepares us for His work. We all have the opportunity to do His work, big or small. I am definitely not Billy Graham, but I do have opportunities to share God's love and word daily. I so admire Billy Graham, but the scope of what I do for God is much smaller. This does not mean my passion for God is smaller or less valuable.

Max Lucado focuses on Luke 24:27 which speaks about the disciples encounters with Jesus after his crucifixion. Can you imagine how exciting that must have been? How much were they also afraid of the unknown? Living supernaturally can be frightening until you learn to trust the source. Max says, "They (the disciples) knew they had been with Jesus because of the fire within them. God reveals his will by setting a torch to your soul." And then he shares, "Jesus comes to set you on fire! He walks as a torch from heart to heart, warming the cold and thawing the chilled and stirring the ashes... He comes to purge infection and illuminate your direction."

My heart is on fire for those who have lost loved ones, but most especially for families who have lost to disease. In recent years I lost my brother to murder, my mother to cancer, two aunts to cancer and heart attacks, and my son to type 1 diabetes. I KNOW grief in a way that hurts everyday. But my grief has been overcome by my passion for the grace of God and His love for me. I sincerely want others to know Him and to experience His love through me. I want them to seek God's direction for their own grief experience and thus, their lives.

I especially love Lucado's vivid word picture of Jesus walking from heart to heart, warming and thawing and stirring while purging and illuminating. This is what those of us who grieve need to do with our own experiences. When we do, we become men and women of grace spreading God's warmth while illuminating His love.

After all, isn't that what He did with His own grief?

2 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I especially love Lucado's vivid word picture of Jesus walking from heart to heart, warming and thawing and stirring while purging and illuminating. This is what those of us who grieve need to do with our own experiences. When we do, we become men and women of grace spreading God's warmth while illuminating His love"

Dear Alice,

I'm just so blessed the Lord allowed our paths to cross! I highlighted those words in this post because that is a perfect description of you, a "woman of Grace spreading God's warmth while you illuminate His love so beautifully. My life has been so brightened because of you! Thanks for allowing the Lord to use your sorrow to bring so much comfort to others.

Keep spreading your light,

Susan

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Rhea said...

You really have experienced a lot of grief in the last few years. I'm so sorry. But you do seem to have a good outlook on things. Impressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home