Monday, February 27, 2012

My Hero - My Dad


I've been very delinquent in posting to either one of my blogs. Lots has been happening in my life, not at all unlike most every other person in this world. Some of it was wonderful, but the greatest grief for me has been the loss of my sweet Dad. He has been gone for just over a year now and my heart still aches. I can still feel his hand in mine the last time I saw him.
This blog was originally setup in order to record family history so I feel the need to share my Dad's obituary. I believe the obituary is self explanatory and really, that is about all I think I have the energy to do this evening. I plan to write more frequently so I will add more in the days ahead about my Dad and my family that remains on earth.
=============================================================
Charles L. Larkin, a 30-year veteran of the Army Air Corp and United States Air Force, died February 12, 2011 at age 94. Larkin died within a month of being diagnosed with liver cancer at a Carmel, Indiana nursing home.

Larkin was married for 55 years to Pauline Faglie Larkin of Tyler, Texas, who preceded him in death in 2000. Upon retirement from the Air Force in 1973 the Larkin’s resided in Tyler until 2008. Their marriage produced three children: Alice Raye Larkin, Paul Charles Larkin who preceded his parents in death in 1998, and Steven Bryan Larkin who is married to Nancy.

Charles was born in Marble, Colorado on January 5, 1917. Raised during the Great Depression one of Charles favorite birthday gifts was received when he turned seven; a donkey and a single shot 1910 .22 Winchester rifle. “Mom gave me permission to roam freely throughout the countryside as long as I brought home something to eat.” said Charles while providing family history. Charles proved to be an avid fisherman, hunter, trapper and gold prospector. Known to enjoy long road trips, in 1938 Charles drove alone from Los Angeles, California to Buena Vista, Colorado in a Model T Ford. “I put more water in the radiator than I did gas in the fuel tank and spent most nights sleeping alongside the road.” said Larkin.

Charles entered military service in 1941 as a pilot in the Army Air Corp and served in WWII. After the war he worked for the Colorado Division of Wildlife in Buena Vista, Colorado. In 1947 he joined the newly formed branch of the United States Air Force from which he retired in 1973.
During his Army Air Corp/Air Force career his service deployments ranged from Europe to Vietnam including service at Biloxi, Mississippi, Wichita Falls, Texas, Amarillo, Texas, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Moses Lake, Washington, Denver, Colorado, Ft. Worth, Texas, Yakota, Japan, and Austin, Texas.

In addition to Alice and Steven Larkin, three grandchildren survive Charles: Kelly Pauline Brenner Simmon and her husband Michael, Shelby Ann Larkin, Leigh Catherine Larkin and he was preceded in death by grandson Kyle Ross Brenner. Charles also enjoyed the lively exuberance of three great grandsons: Andrew Ross Simmon, Jackson Lee Simmon and Zachary Paul Simmon.

A brother Arthur and a sister Laverne, both of Buena Vista, Colorado, preceded Charles in death.

In memory of Charles please perform a random act of kindness to a stranger. A private graveside service will be held at Pleasant Retreat Cemetery on March 6, 2011.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home